In today’s digital world, owning a virtual server (VPS) is an important part of building and running web applications and online services. Contabo, OVH and Vultr are three famous and widely used VPS providers around the globe. In fact, speed is an important factor when choosing a suitable VPS provider. In this article, we will compare the VPS speed of Contabo, OVH, and Vultr.
Linux Performance: A Comparison of VPS Speed – Contabo vs OVH vs Vultr
- Contabo, based in Germany, is well known for offering reasonable prices and premium VPS plans using SSD + NVME technology and up-to-date chips. Contabo offers Cloud VPS services with the lowest price from only 5.99€ (Euro).
- OVH is known for its powerful configuration and flexible scalability. They use SSD + NVME hard drives, new chip (CPU) and offer a wide range of options, allowing for fast and stable data transfer around the globe.
- Vultr, a US-based VPS provider, is known for its easy-to-use interface and affordable VPS plans. They use SSD + NVME technology, the latest chip, and offer a wide selection of Cloud VPS plans and rates.
In a nutshell, when we compare VPS Contabo vs OVH vs Vultr, we find that all three are top VPS providers, with a high level of reputation in the tech industry. Each provider has its own advantages, ranging from reasonable prices, powerful configurations, to easy-to-use interfaces and a variety of options.
But in fact, from the experience and experience of ItsmeIT, it is found that all 3 of the above providers have their own advantages and disadvantages. Next, let’s discuss with ItsmeIT in detail the advantages + disadvantages as well as specifically about Linux VPS speed and performance.
Test the speed of the hard drive (Disk) Cloud VPS Linux
OVH Cloud VPS 7$, 1Core, 2GB RAM + SSD 40GB NVME:
In performance testing with the fio Disk Speed Tests tool, OVH achieved relatively high read/write speeds on small and large data block sizes. For example, on a 4k block size, the read/write speed is about 40 MB/s, and on the 512k block size, the read speed is 901 MB/s and the write speed is 949 MB/s. Total aggregate read/write speeds reach 1.85 GB/s on a 512k block size.
Contabo Cloud VPS 5.99€, 4Core, 8GB RAM + SSD 50GB NVME:
Contabo also has good performance, but lower read/write speed compared to OVH. For example, on a 4k block size, the read/write speed is about 23 MB/s, and on the 512k block size, the read speed is 4.84 GB/s and the write speed is 5.09 GB/s. Total aggregate read/write speeds reach 9.93 GB/s on a 512k block size.
Vultr Cloud VPS package $6, 1Core, 1GB RAM + SSD NVME: read and write results are similar to OVH
So based on performance test results and VPS contabo vs OVH speed comparison from Singapore, OVH and Vultr show higher read/write speeds than Contabo on most data block sizes. Contabo test result completion time is 1 minute 7 seconds, slower than Vultr and OVH.
Test Linux VPS network speed (Upload/Download)
- Contabo Cloud VPS 5.99€, 4Core, 8GB RAM + SSD 50GB NVME:
- At the London, UK location, sending is busy, while receiving is up to 170 Mbits/sec. The ping time is 154 ms.
- In Paris, FR, sending speed is busy (busy), while receiving speed is only 32.8 Mbits/sec. The ping time is 158 ms.
- In NYC, NY, US, sending is 150 Mbits/sec and receiving is busy. The ping time is 254 ms.
2. OVH Cloud VPS 7$, 1Core, 2GB RAM + SSD 40GB NVME:
- On the test results at the London, UK location, the send speed is busy (busy), while the receive speed (recv speed) reaches 227 Mbits/sec. The ping time is 160 ms.
- In Paris, FR, both sending and receiving rates are busy, with no specific value. The ping time is 155 ms.
- In NYC, NY, US, send rate is 189 Mbits/sec and receive rate is 68.8 Mbits/sec. The ping time is 235 ms.
Thus, based on the network speed test results, when compare VPS contabo vs OVH speeds, OVH shows faster speeds than Contabo in London, UK and NYC, NY, US locations. As for Vultr, the results are similar to OVH, the difference is not significant, so ItsmeIT only takes OVH as an example.
Test speed VPS network to Vietnam
1. Contabo Cloud VPS 5.99€, 4Core, 8GB RAM + SSD 50GB NVME:
2. OVH Cloud VPS 7$, 1Core, 2GB RAM + SSD 40GB NVME:
From the above results, when comparing the speed of VPS contabo and OVH, OVH shows that the speed is faster than Contabo in many locations as well as many different carriers. (Vultr is also quite similar to OVH)
Should I choose Cloud VPS contabo or OVH or Vultr?
When faced with the decision to choose between Cloud VPS from Contabo, OVH and Vultr, we need to consider the information from the above results that ItsmeIT has provided as well as specific experiences to make a decision.
With the actual test results as ItsmeIT compared, surely you have already decided to choose your own VPS. But it is worth noting that the same price and different geographical locations, with the cheapest plan, Contabo has the upper hand which is 4vCore + 8GB RAM + 50GB NVME SSD or 200GB SSD. While OVH 1vCore + 2GB + 40GB NVME SSD and Vultr 1vCore + 1GB RAM + 25GB NVME SSD. So which supplier should you choose?
This definitely has to analyze your specific use. For example, you have many websites and need more space + CPU processor, then you can choose Contabo with performance as the test results that ItsmeIT has given. And if you only care about performance, transmission speed, data processing, you can choose OVH or Vultr.
But! There is another notable point between Vultr and OVH that the SSH OVH size is 40GB, while Vultr is 25Gb (with the same price). So OVH takes advantage of capacity.
Finally ItsmeIT would like to reiterate this test result comparing VPS configuration with similar price and “Bandwidth”. During this process, ItsmeIT wants to share objective knowledge and information to support your decision, without intending to criticize or criticize any service from the provider. How did you decide? Please leave a comment below.